More Polytunnel Preparations

The neverending saga of the polytunnel has reached a new chapter. The peas and beans are in and have begun to grow. There have been a couple of small casualties which I assume were down to a mouse but most of them are fine. I will replace them with extras that are still growing in the house. I think we will have to put down some peppermint to deter the mice as we have in areas of the house.

The peas in place in the polytunnel.
The peas in place in the polytunnel.

Peas in the Polytunnel

Broad bean nibbled by mouse.
Broad bean nibbled by mouse.

Today I stopped writing work a little early and spent a couple of hours working on the interior of the polytunnel – I cut the groundsheet and began to prepare the central bed.

I also planted a few cauliflowers and romanesquo inside. The calabrese I already planted have popped up nicely. Though when they are ready to plant out I know from allotment experience that I will have to net them – otherwise the flock of pigeons who live in the neighbouring barn with decimate the crop before it gets a chance.

Sprouting Calabrese.
Sprouting Calabrese.

This weekend, my goal is to finish preparing the beds inside the polytunnel and perhaps prepare some staging for when the polytunnel can take over from windowsills for sprouting seedlings in the next month or so.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s