The weather today has been a lot cooler than of late and it has been rather windy. None the less we have managed to get on with some jobs in the garden and polytunnel. Potatoes were the main mission of the day.
I have planted some maincrop potatoes in the vegetable beds.
There are still more to plant but I made a start. I dug a trench and filled it with grass cuttings mown today from the orchard/ future forest garden before planting. While those potatoes are just starting out, those in the polytunnel are racing ahead. I had to earth them up.
Fortunately, I had a ready supply of topsoil from the wildlife pond we are creating in the corner behind the tunnel. While I sowed a few more lettuces and transplanted some spring onions into the tunnel, digging work commenced.
I took the soil removed from the site removed some roots and used it for the earthing up.
It almost feels mean to cover up the healthy potato plants that have forged their way above the soil but it is necessary if we are to get tubers and not just a bushy plant above ground. I will keep more soil to hand for the next earthing up.
I also started a nettle/weed bin to make a fertiliser to use as a tomato feed. Once the forest garden in established I plan to use a lot of comfrey but my comfrey patch is not yet established enough to harvest so I am using nettles and some other weeds for now. I used a bin we already had and a mesh bag that the onion sets came in to keep the weeds in place below the water.
If this goes as it should, we will have plenty of plant food to feed all our hungry triffids over the coming months.