To think that I was a little worried that we would never get any frogs in our pond! After we have had a few rather wet and rainy days, we now have hundreds, and I mean hundreds, of tiny baby frogs hopping around in the back garden.
I first noticed because one of the little guys had make it in through the back door and was hopping across the hallway!
We then went outside and saw a few more and soon discovered that there are literally hundreds of them. We have rescued some that were close to the back door and deposited them in our pond. We hope that some of them will survive and make their home there, though of course many will succumb to natural predation etc.. In the meantime we are enjoying these amusing little creatures.
While I was working today amazing progress has been made on the pond. I think it looks fantastic and I am sure it will look even better once the water has cleared and the plants have had a chance to take over.
We are expecting rain but it has not come yet. It is a shame that it comes on the weekend but the plants do all desperately need it – we have even had to fill the water butts from the tap a couple of times because we’ve had so little rain! With any luck the watery theme will continue and we will get the rain that is forecast.
It has been a rather busy week and I have been too rushed or too tired to give much time to this blog but I will remedy that now with an update on progress in the garden.
The first early potatoes have been earthed up twice and are bursting through once more in the polytunnel.
More maincrop potatoes are in the ground and others I have planted in Ikea bags beside the polytunnel.
I have moved some peas into the orchard/forest garden area.
Calabrese and romanesquo have made their way out to the vegetable beds, where more peas have also just been directly sown. Cauliflower will follow shortly.
Kohlrabi and beetroots have been hardening off ready to plant out too. I will do that this weekend.
Courgettes are also in the polytunnel, with bubble wrap on hand to protect it if we have a cold night. I have planted them more closely than is advised as one or two were too long in the pots and got a bit squashed so may not make it.
I also forgot to mention before that we now have our water butt set up out back to water in the polytunnel and the outside tap by the orchard/forest garden has been fixed so we can use the hose to water on that side of the house.
There are plenty of flowers blooming about the place and lots of busy bees.
Free wood from outside my husband’s workplace. (They were going to chip it so it was up for grabs.)
And the pond is coming along nicely.
Now it is the weekend I can really get on with things!